Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ford F-150 96, how do I separate driveshaft at carrier bearing?

2 part rear drive shaft w 3 u-joints, carrier bearing on shaft w splines opposite end which goes in to slip yoke w grease fitting. Does the slip yoke just pull apart? Does the shaft pull out so bearing can be changed? I'm changing u-joints and carrier bearing. 114000 miles, one bad u-joint.Ford F-150 96, how do I separate driveshaft at carrier bearing?
the drive shaft should pull apart at the slip yokeFord F-150 96, how do I separate driveshaft at carrier bearing?
Hi... I've done some of this.. I had a 94', 96, 88, 82

I've had both chevy's and Ford 1/2 and 3/4 tons and both come apart very easily if you know what to do and how to do it.



You have to lift and support the rear-end so you have room to get under the vehicle, unscrew the cap-bolts on the rear-end portion of the shaft. Then depending if it's a automatic or standard/2-4wd you'll have to loosen the trans/transfer carrier bracket that's under the tranny itself.



There should only be 2 medium sized bolts 3/4%26quot; socket of I remember right.. Just slide the tranny till it moves freely don't remove the bolts all-together.. Now take the rear-end out first, then the front will just slide out of the tranny.. You'll need a small bucket to catch the tranny fluid.



If it's a standard you'll have to set the parking brake and block the front wheels..



Spray the bolts/nuts with a lubricant and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes..