Saturday, November 20, 2010

How to loosen a really tight bolt on a cam chain tensioner?

I'm trying to change the cam chain tensioner on my motorcycle. There are just two bolts to take out, but the access is extremely tight, so removing the tensioner is much harder than it should be. Here is a link (with pictures!) describing the procedure



http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums



Anyway, I have a tool exactly like the one pictured in the link above -- ratcher%26gt;6in extension%26gt;u-joint%26gt;5mm allen key -- BUT I can't seem to get the top bolt to move no matter how much force I use. Any suggestions? Going to try spraying some WD40How to loosen a really tight bolt on a cam chain tensioner?
if motor runs try running it getting it hot this may helpHow to loosen a really tight bolt on a cam chain tensioner?
wd-40 is not the best penetrating oil, w-d stands for water displacement and the 40 was how many attempts it took to get ot right.



try using some kind of penetrant like crc,free all,p7, etc



spray let sit, spray let sit, spray let sit, tap with hammer, then try turning.



Don't think I would try applying heat to the bolt.